IFAHR was founded as a non-profit organisation (according to the French Law dated July 1st 1901) on the 11th of January 1999 in Paris, after subscription by the delegates of the founding member-countries of the statutes, for purpose of co-operation between all national and international Arab Horse Racing Associations throughout the world. The Federation is registered in France / 257 avenue le Jour Se Lève / F-92100 Boulogne, which is also the seat of "France Galop" and the location of the yearly IFAHR General Meeting. A preliminary meeting (based on the ECAHO race-commission) had taken place the 14th of September 1998, in Gotha/Germany, for preparing the statutes.
Founding member countries are France, Germany, Belgium, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Austria, Holland, Russia, Saudi Arabia, United States of America, Turkey, Egypt, Spain, Sweden, Morocco and Poland.
The purpose of IFAHR was formulated as follows: In order to improve the speed, stamina, soundness and temperament of the Arab horse breed through racing, the Federation shall:
- universally adopt the term 'Arabian horse racing'
- facilitate international competition between Arabian racehorses by:
- acceptance of universal recording methods
- acceptance of universal rules of racing
- acceptance of universal recording of 'form'
- acceptance of universal handicapping methods
- establish standards of acceptance for participation in Arabian horseracing
- promote and facilitate Arabian horseracing in Member countries
- foster and develop exchanges between Arab horse racing authorities of the member
countries without discrimination
- publish or foster the publication by member countries of a data base of racing
information, race plans, racing results and statistics of Arabian horseracing utilising
universal recording methods, which will be made available to all the breeders Associations
- encourage sponsorship but promote financial independence
- harmonise and co-ordinate racing conditions for international and national races
- create and enforce rules that shall control and secure total integrity in Arabian horse racing
On account of different import laws, racing rules, mentality and breeding levels in the different member-countries it goes without saying that it will take some time to establish a universal standard for Arabian Horse Racing ( comparison in racing throughout all the countries etc.).
In the meanwhile IFAHR has organised many meetings in order to compare notes and to collect and exchange information.
Beside that an internet site has also been established (www.ifahr.net) where all member countries are listed and a quantity of information can be viewed. The objective is to establish a world-wide information center.