GROUP RACES FOR PUREBRED ARABIANS
Group Races and the pattern race commitee revolutionized horse racing in the 1970‘s. Before this it was a major problem to rank horses and races as there where no common ground for comparisons. Therefore a clear Group Race system and uniform ratings are the key to international recognition also of Purebred Arabian Racing. And - has been a key issue for IFAHR since the very start.
No Risk Al Maury was ranked the best purebred arabian in the world by the Pattern Race Committee in 2011
In 2005 IFAHR’s Pattern Race Committee, founded by Jean-Pierre de Gasté, obtained the recognition of the Group PA status for Arabian races by ICSC-International Cataloguing Standard Committee. This enabled the Pattern Race Committee to create a structured international racing calendar of Pattern races (Group PA & Listed PA races) in Europe and the Middle East.
In 2008 the Handicappers Committee was included under the Pattern Race Committee banner, and a supervisory committee of six internationally experienced handicappers was formed that are in charge of the rules for the Arabian Pattern Race Committee and of the coordination of the international handicapping system.
The basic principles of Group Races are the following:
- Only the pattern race committee can give a race a certain status.
- No country may at their own discretion give races Group status.
- All Group Races must be open to horses from all countries.
- The Prefix ”PA” must be used after the name of the race to clearify that it is a race for Purebred Arabians- example ”Qatar Arabian World Cup (Group 1 PA)”.
- There must be no special penalties or allowances other than those expressed in the rules.
- Handicap races can never be given Group Race status.
- The level of a race will be determined by the quality of horses participating in the race.
- The quality of the horses will be based on the ratings that they will be allotted by the handicapper of its country, and approved by the Supervisory Committee.
- A race has to have a certain quality for a minimum of three years before the country can apply for it to become a Group Race
Se the link below for complete info from The Pattern Race Committee